Learning how to update graphics drivers is an important way to ensure that your gaming PC is running at peak performance. Doing so could mean running your favorite first-person shooter game at higher FPS to get a competitive advantage and/or improving the graphics quality in games with picturesque realistic environments.
The best part is updating your NVIDIA or AMD graphics drivers is dead simple and takes just a few minutes.
While there are multiple ways to update graphics drivers across Windows operating systems, we’ll show you the path of least resistance that makes updating graphics drivers easy, regardless of your Windows operating system. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Updating your graphics drivers should be one of the first steps taken when experiencing issues within certain games. Many times, an outdated graphics driver is the underlying cause of lag, low FPS, and crashes.
How to update NVIDIA graphics drivers
Downloading the GeForce Experience app is the easiest way to update your NVIDIA graphics drivers. You can update your NVIDIA graphics drivers within Windows manually, but GeForce Experience simplifies the process, regardless of Windows OS.
1. Download the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app from NVIDIA’s download page.
2. Check for graphics driver updates.
Once GeForce Experience is downloaded and opened, you will have the option to select the Drivers tab and then select Download.
3. Download and install the new graphics driver.
If a new driver is available, a download button will appear. After downloading, follow the prompts to install the new drivers.
Boom, you’re done!
How to update AMD graphics drivers
AMD doesn’t have an equivalent app to update its graphics drivers, but the process is similarly simple via Radeon settings in Windows
- Open Radeon settings
- Right-click on the desktop and select AMD Radeon settings.
- Select the home icon
- Look for the option that reads New Updates and check for a new update
- An updated file will be available if your AMD graphics drivers aren’t the latest version
- Follow the prompts to install updated drivers.
Alright, get it gamer!